Photo by Ajay Royyuru - http://tinyurl.com/WorksByAjay

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

You do what with a tennis ball?!!

Thanks to my friend Barry for this idea!

Next time you go for a walk around the park, take a tennis ball with you.  Use the tennis ball to focus your mind to the present. If you are like me, I end up brooding about problems or life-challenges when I go on walks. In some cases, I actually find solutions to some of my problems. In other cases, I just increase my anxiety levels.

When you have a tennis ball in your hand, you can bounce it off your path and watch its path as it goes down. Listen to the thump as the ball hits the ground and catch it as it comes up.  Feel the texture of the ball as you prepare to bounce it again.  This very simple process grounds you to the present moment. The activity is similar to that of  monks and saints who use prayer beads and a mantra to focus in the present.

This simple activity - it engages your sense of sight, sound and feeling - has a tremendous relaxing effect in your mind and body. Every time, your mind is diverted to your pressing problems and challenges, this ball draws your attention to the present. In addition to the feeling of relaxation this active play provides, you may also find creative solutions to your life's challenges.

Try it and let me know how it works for you!


Standard Disclaimer - Always be of mindful of others and traffic around. This exercise is done best in relatively empty streets or in a park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment