Photo by Ajay Royyuru - http://tinyurl.com/WorksByAjay

Saturday, March 20, 2010

No time for meditation? Here is what you can do . . .

Most of my students complain that they enjoy meditation but they cannot find the time for it. You do not need 30- 45 minutes to one hour for a good meditation session.  The secret is quality not quantity! It is good to schedule a long  meditation session about once in a week and it will add to your relaxation to find 5-10 minutes daily for a mini-meditation session shown below.

Many years ago, I recall reading about a unique technique for short power naps.  You lie down in bed with a spoon in your hand. The spoon is poised over a plate next to your bed. As you sleep, your body relaxes completely and the spoon slips and the resulting clatter wakes you up completely refreshed. I have tried various combinations of these power naps and found them very refreshing.

To extend this idea, I suggest that you use a kitchen timer ($5-$15 at your local store). I prefer a mechanical one as it has a ticking noise. Set it for 5 minutes and focus on your breathing.  Visualize, in your mind's eye, air coming through your nostrils and going into your lungs and belly. Follow your breath out. Listen the sounds of breathing and feel as your chest moves up and down against your shirt or dress.  I often imagine that my stress dissolves in the air I breathe in and the stress goes out with my exhalation.  I also imagine that I breathe in peace and love along with air and spread the feeling of relaxation all over my body.  When my thoughts and focus wanders away, I gentle bring my focus back to my breathing.  Before I know it, the timer rings and it is time for my next task.


Try this out and let me know your comments. Please share your favorite "mini-meditation" with this group.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sudesh,

    Congrats on starting this blog. I think it is a great service for the readers. I know that you really practise what you say here.

    Wishing you all the best.

    Mohan

    ReplyDelete